Mangrove Curriculum Adaptation for Brazil
MAP-Latin America formed a Working Group of Brazilian educators, scientists, and ethno-ecologists from 3 strategic regions of the country to carry out the adaptation of Marvelous Mangroves, MAP’s curriculum and resource guide for primary school teachers.
- NE Brazil
- SE Brazil
- Urban mangrove systems and issues
- Rural mangrove systems and issues
- Traditional and Afro-indigenous fisherfolk communities
3 Strategic Regions
- Espirito Santos
- Sao Paulo
- Produce material that will be acceptable for use throughout Brazil
- Take into consideration regional variability
Calendar of Activities
2006 – Translation of curriculum into Portuguese completed.
2007 – Adaptation of the curriculum.
2008 – Publication and introduction of curriculum to teachers in first strategic region (Espirito Santos) during “train-the-trainer” workshops, coordinated by MAP Partner Instituto BiomaBrasil (IBB).
2009 – Dissemination of curriculum throughout Brazil, in collaboration with IBB, the Brazilian Ministry of Environment (MMA), and MAP partner organizations.
Working Group and Partners
- Instituto BiomaBrasil (Espirito Santo and Pernambuco states)
- Centro Escola Mangue (Recife, Pernambuco)
- São Carlos Federal University (São Paulo state)
- Rede Associação Cananeia (Cananeia, Sao Paulo state)
- Brazilian Ministry of Environment (Brasilia)
MAP has received support to carry out the Brazilian adaptation process from: