Ecumenical Coalition on Tourism (ECOT) Principal aims
- Focus on tourism and the effect it has on the lives of the people of the Third World and their natural environs.
- Provide opportunities for the local people displaced and otherwise affected by tourism to express their views and concerns.
- Work for gender justice and child protection in tourism.
- Protect the rights of workers in the formal and informal sectors of the industry.
- Denounce unfair practices in tourism and encourage action to change them.
- Promote a good quality of tourist activity that is appropriate to the quest for a just, participatory, and sustainable society.
- Empower indigenous peoples and support them in their attempts to get a fair price for their exposure to tourism.
- Lobby against the violation of human rights related to tourism development projects at national and international level.
- Provide research and information on the impact of tourism.
- Engage in analytical study on the implications of globalization on the tourist trade and offer alternative paradigms for justice.
- Advocate for just practices in tourist trade and to ensure that international trade mechanisms are in line with values of justice for the host communities.
Ecumenical Coalition on Tourism (ECOT)